Friday, September 7, 2012

Morgan's Cookie Decorating Party


 Her birthday was 6 months ago, but I'm finally ready to share Morgan's Cookie Decorating Party. I decided to go with this theme because she had enjoyed decorating Christmas cookies so much. Who says you can only do that during the holidays?

 
The invitations were foam cookies, that I ended up not even passing out. You can see how I made them here.

 Of course the main activity of this party was the decorating, so I baked up a few batches of super soft sugar cookies.

 And lots of colorful frosting. Royal icing may look better, but buttercream tastes so much better.


I did not want to go the cookie cake route, since those are chocolate chip and this is all about decorating cookies. So I made a layer cake, with a big sugar cookie on top. I had been wanting to try out the ruffle frosting that is so popular right now, so I went for it. It was so easy!

Here you can see the big cookies, frosted white with aqua srinkles. The foam M I found at Michael's and the 3 candle came from Target.

I love these polka dot balloons! I think these came from Amazon.

I apologize about this photo. We had pushed the table against the window and used plastic tablecloths for a backdrop. This was what my camera managed. Blah I know. But you can see the tissue poms & tulle poms hanging here.


Now for the goodies. My girl loves sugar donuts, so I made them drizzled with orange and aqua glaze.

Gotta have chocolate covered Oreos. Everyone loves these!

I decided to try my hand at cake pops. They weren't too hard, but I goofed on the orange ones and they were too soft. So I had to use mainly blue. And they definitely aren't smooth. I guess I need more practice on them!

   
 I also had found some off-brand Oreo style cookies at Walmart for $1.00 a box, so I covered them in chocolate as well. Cheetos 'cause they are her fave, and our yummy Chili's style queso dip, salsa & chips.

 I raided the 15 for $1 candy bin at Party City and chose orange & blue Pixy Sticks. I stuck them in a mason jar and used fabric scraps for added decoration.

Sadly, I don't have any photos of me making this, but I made a matching apron for Morgie to decorate her cookies in. 

Aqua & orange plates from Party City, polka dot napkins from Target and matching forks, spoons & paper straws in mason jars.


And of course I had to wrap her presents to match the theme!


Since I knew the cookie decorating would be a huge mess, I set a table up on our screened porch for them to decorate. 

I mentioned before that I ended up not passing out her invitations, but I didn't want them to go to waste. So I hot glued them onto a piece of ribbon and hung them up as a banner. 


Lots of frosting colors and sprinkles to choose from!

I wanted to use my drink dispenser to serve blue lemonade, so I made some ice cubes out of the same Kool-Aid so the drink wouldn't get watered down.

I also sliced some lemons, froze them and added them as well.


The kids decorating their masterpieces.

My sweetie pie with her sweet treat.

Instead of goody bags, I purchased solid orange bags and added a thank you tag, so the kids could take their sweets home.

I always pre-scoop the ice cream ahead of time. It makes it so much faster and easier, and less messy! I even bought the birthday cake flavored ice cream so it would match!

These didn't really get eaten, but I loved how they looked! They are Sixlets from Party City.


I love, love, love colored cakes, so I did it aqua & orange inside.

 

I just had to do another variation of my rainbow slush.

The aftermath.



I love how bright and vibrant this party was. And miss Morie had a blast. I'd call this one a success!

Linked to: Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots & Jello, Friday Favs Party at Nap Time Crafters, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Sundae Scoop at I ♥ Naptime, Creative Bloggers Party & Hop at Homemaker on a Dime, Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table & Dreaming, Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, What We Wore, Read & Made at Rae Gun Ramblings, Look What I Made at Creations by Kara, I'm Crafty Party at SYTYC, Hookin Up with HoH at House of Hepworths, Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Throwback Thursday at Hubby Made Me, Catch as Catch Can at My Repurposed Life, Happy Hour at Craftberry Bush, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Delicately Constructed Friday at delicateCONSTRUCTION, Celebrations Link Party at Bird's Party Blog


10 comments:

Susan@Organized31 said...

Yummy AND looks like lots of fun. Perfect birthday for anyone.

Unknown said...

What a pretty set up! I love all the different treats you made using the orange and blue color combo. I really love the cookie decorating party idea!

brooke said...

Great work as always! This looks so cute. I love the colors. And it looks like fun for the kids.

Unknown said...

What a great birthday party idea. Lucky little girl!

Hopping by and following your lovely blog (FB).

The Quiet Mom blogging:
Recipe: Garlic-Parsley Fried Brown Rice
Crafting: Skip-Counting Project: Count by Five

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Everything looks so pretty! Looks like a lot of fun was had. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Homemaker on a Dime. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Shooting Stars Mag said...

How adorable! I love the idea of a cookie decorating party. I'd do that now and I'm 22. It makes me think of the cooking making parties that people doe for Christmas.

-lauren

Britni @ Hubby Made Me said...

That cake looks amazing and I love the cookie on top! Cute idea! This is such a cute party, I'm glad you shared it. My daughter's birthday was 6 months ago too and I still haven't shared hers :) Speaking of sharing, I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-10/

KC Coake said...

Wow! What an amazing party! I love the color theme and it looks like it was a lot of fun. Your cake looks fantastic!

Craftberry Bush said...

so many beautiful details...I love the color combo you chose...I had a cookie party ...it was mmmeeesssyyyy....my daughter's birthday is in the winter so we have to be inside...eek...thank you for sharing your party so others ca be inspired....xo

Michelle O said...

What a wonderful idea! A great way to keep the kids entertained at a party! I especially love the colours you've chosen :)

I would love to invite you to share this at my link party at The Purple Pumpkin Blog. Look forward to seeing you there! xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...